Sunday, September 25, 2011

Anti-`Alawite bigotry

I am sick and tired of the anti-`Alawite bigotry that is filling the airwaves in Saudi/Qatari/Hariri media.  I am sick and tired that no one speaks against it.  I am not expecting the voices and tools of Saudi princes to speak, and I certainly not expecting the Wahhabi liberals to speak against it.  But Syrian opposition figures and supporters (I am speaking about the good opposition elements and not the lousy fanatical Ikhwan and their liberal March 14 clients in Syria), are obligated to speak against it, and not only for political reasons.  AlJazeera basically opens the phone lines and people weigh in with fanatical anti-`Alawite bigotry.  It is not amusing that the bigots preface their remarks but saying: I am not against `Alawites, but....   This is like American racists who preface their racism by saying: I am not against blacks, but....